You know, people in North America are so spoiled in the way that we think. If we don't have the best televisions, the latest cell phone, the nicest furniture, or stylish clothes... we feel sorry for ourselves..or feel less successful than our friends. It wasn't until I visited Cuba in 2004, and decided to take a tour of the actual city of Holguin - that I hit a major turning point.
I used to love the newest electronic gadget, and was constantly buying useless "stuff" to fill my apartment. I didn't need the best of everything, but I always had SOMETHING.
Most people in Cuba live in shacks, with no running water, and yet they could still be seen sitting around a decrepit picnic bench, laughing with their friends and family. They have their priorities in the right place; they don't take things for granted and truly understand that life is a gift.
Today, on Facebook, I created a status that said "Meredith is effen happy to be alive". I had several people message me and ask me why. I realize that the way it was written, may have sounded like I had a near-death experience, but some were just curious as to why I was so optimistic in general....
Now I realize that I am as cynical as the next person, but overall, I think I know what's important.
It reminded me of a poem that I have had tacked to a cork board for 15+ years that has always pulled at my heart strings. I still read it and get teary, because it speaks the truth. I have decided to share it with you today.....
The World is Mine
Today upon a bus I saw a girl with golden hair;
She seemed so gay, I envied her, and wish that I were half so fair;
I watched her as she rose to leave, and saw her hobble down the aisle.
She had one leg and wore a crutch, but as she passed--a smile.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine; I have two legs--the world is mine.
Later on I bought some sweets. The boy who sold them had such charm,
I thought I'd stop and talk awhile. If I were late, t'would do no harm.
And as we talked he said, "Thank you, sir, you've really been so kind.
It's nice to talk to folks like you because, you see, I'm blind"
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine; I have two eyes--the world is mine
Later, walking down the street, I met a boy with eyes so blue.
But he stood and watched the others play; it seemed he knew not what to do.
I paused, and then I said, "Why don't you join the others, dear?"
But he looked straight ahead without a word, and then I knew, he couldn't hear.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine; I have two ears--the world is mine.
Two legs to take me where I go,
Two eyes to see the sunset's glow,
Two ears to hear all I should know,
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine;
I'm blest, indeed, the world is mine.
Dr. Tennyson Guyer
No comments:
Post a Comment