Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Facebook Phenomenon

I am the first to admit that I love Facebook. It allows you to keep up on the lives of your friends' without putting much effort into the whole thing. You can capture a snapshot of their life through their profile. It's quite convenient.

However.

The odd time I get a "friend request" that makes me shake my head.

I don't "hate" many people. There have been a few people over the years that have crossed/denigrated me, and I subsequently have no respect for them. There are others that I steer clear from because they have no morals or values. A few of these people have attempted to add me as a friend. You would think, that when hitting the "add as a friend" button, they would be a little hesitant...and maybe add a little note saying that the past is the past...but nooooo, they just hit the button and expect me to add them back. Sorry, but that's not going to happen. It's as though Facebook grants them instant forgiveness.

Can a leopard change his spots?

The older I get, I realize that the answer is no. If they were an adult and deceived me in one way or another, I am not going to smile and allow them to do it again (something vicious or detrimental, not something innocent). As an adult we are conscious of our decisions and are responsible for our actions. If they are a kid, then they probably haven't learned any life lessons yet...so they deserve a second chance.

Now allow me to get to the reason that I blogged this entry in the first place.

As I said before, I don't hate many people. There is one person that I would consider punching in the throat if I stumbled across them in public. This person singlehandedly treated me like shit, not once, but twice. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There WILL NOT be a thrice. I loathe her. When I tell people the story of what occurred between us, they are appalled. When I think back to how I handled the situation, I believe that I handled it to the best of my ability at the time. This said person, added me last night as a friend. I must have spent 10 minutes looking at the words on the screen. I was dumbfounded, but she is the type of person that probably assumes that she has forgiven ME and that she is extending the olive branch. Last I checked, my branch was olive-free.

Some people are stupid, plain and simple.

A few years ago, a woman that I worked with in social services, told me that I am a high-maintenance person. I assumed she meant physically, but she actually meant mentally. She said that I am high maintenance when it comes to people and friends. I responded by saying that I expect a certain type of behaviour with friends, and that I won't put up with any crap. She said that some people are incapable of meeting those expectations. I reciprocated that if that is the case, they are not trying. If they truly believe that about themselves (cop-out), then I really don't have the time to waste on them.

People on Facebook should be more selective. Don't just litter your friend list with numbers.

Be discriminatory.

If you don't stand for anything, you will fall for everything.

1 comment:

Nicole - The F**k You Up Fairy said...

Yeah, some of these friend requests are quite perplexing.

I know I've made friend requests of people who are friends of friends but I did so because, on the occasions that I've interacted with them I though they were interesting and would be cool to keep in touch with.

What I don't get is "poking" or "adding" someone you've never met before - I've experienced both situations, the latter just today. I agree with your point that the instigator should at least include a brief introductory message.

Ahhh technology. There's almost always a downside.