Monday, January 19, 2009

Two Thousand and Nine?

I know, I know, I haven't been blogging much lately. I've been trying to turn off my brain and just take life as it comes. To refrain from thinking so much.

I've also been doing quite a bit of work for a friend's company. My most recent project was creating 250 trivia questions about the history of the Oscars. This was a fun task, since, as you may know, I love movies. While compiling this list of questions, it occurred to me how many movies I have never seen, nor even heard of, yet they won Best Picture Oscars.

I decided to create a fun task for myself - I will try to watch all of the Best Pictures from the last 80+ years. I created a list and crossed out those that I have seen, and I barely made a dent with 20.

Most excited to see = Midnight Cowboy

Least excited to see = The Sound of Music


I will give myself 2 years to complete this task - assuming that I can watch one every week or two. The liberry* will be my source of renting. Kudos to my friend Karen who has turned me into a liberry* fan. I borrow books and DVDs all the time now.

I also joined the Running Room's Learn to Run course in early January. So far so good.

Okay that's a lie.
It sucks.

The actual running doesn't suck, but running in sub-arctic temperatures does. Remember this goal that I set for myself? I am hopefully signing up for the Achilles 5K on March 15.
Fingers crossed. This run is actually a cool one. You start and finish at the Steamwhistle Brewery and when you cross the finish line, they hand you chili and a beer. Nice.

I've also seen a load of movies that need to be reviewed. Check out my cheesy reviews within the week. They should be all updated by that time. My top 5 of 2008 will be included.

Having a car has given me my patience back. I'm no longer on edge the second I leave my building or my work. I enjoy the walk to the car, and I enjoy the commute, with or without traffic. I'd rather be sitting in traffic, in my own car, than on a bus, smelling someone at the front of the bus when I am sitting at the back. My nose is hound-like.

Annnndddddd, that's about all.

* yes, I know it's actually library. Karen and I prefer liberry since half of the world says it like this....and they don't even know it.

8 comments:

Bangs and a Bun said...

You've never seen Sound of Music? What kind of person are you?! One with taste, I presume.

Meredith said...

I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing. It's not my bag, never has been, never will be.

Hence why I will never see the musical downtown.....

J. L. said...

I'm agreeing with Bangs and a Bun here... I can't believe you haven't seen the Sound of Music! They play it at least once a year on TV and even then, what?

I'm against musicals, but Sound of Music is decent and watchable.

Nicole - The F**k You Up Fairy said...

Wait, so it's the premise you don't like? It can't have anything to do with it being a musical because I know you liked Dirty Dancing (the stage version) and you went on and on about Mamma Mia (the film).

Meredith said...

I'm not against movie musicals, as some are good (Grease, Mamma Mia) but others are downright bad (Chicago, Dreamgirls, Evita). In this case, it's just about how cheese the whole thing is. The kids are perfect, singing in unison, dancing across the landscape, etc. I can't put my finger on it, I just roll my eyes when I watch bits and pieces of it. Just not my bag.

Laurelle said...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with string
These are a few of my favorite things.......
Love that movie!

Meredith said...

How did we come from the same family?

Laurelle said...

Maybe we didn't.......