Sunday, October 26, 2008

Money and Exercise

I've had a few people ask me how both my budget and my running is coming along lately. Well, both of them sorta go hand in hand, strangely enough.

A month ago, I decided to train for this 5K. Had my first successful run. Took me 4 days to recover, seriously. Muscles I didn't even know were there - were hurting. I woke up the day of my second training session with a wicked cold. Said cold lasted...ohhhh...about 5 days. Cough was still there, but I decided to go for my second session anyway. During this run, I felt awful. I couldn't figure out why, considering I was on day 5 of the cold....I managed to finish, but was not feeling wonderful. A few days later I woke up with the stomach flu. Oddly enough, this flu lasted about 5 days as well.

Gone are the days when I fought off a cold and flu in 24 hours.

I attribute this to having to take public transit everywhere. The buses, streetcars and subway are a giant tube chock-full of viruses and bacteria. The sneezing and the coughing in these vehicles are gross at this time of year.

So here I am, over three weeks later, and am heading for only my third session. I played in a volleyball tournament yesterday, and feel good again. I have a headache, but I attribute that to being dehydrated from the stomach flu.

I have not given up, don't worry.

What does this have to do with my budget you ask? Well, I have been spending so much time at home lately, feeling crappy, that I haven't spent any money. Although, I did purchase an Oral B electric toothbrush, since my old one kicked the bucket. My teeth are non-negotiables. Oh, and I had a few birthday gifts to buy too. So, I am still on track with my budget.

Have a good week y'all.

4 comments:

Laurelle said...

Do you wanna go for a run on the weekend?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I don't run.

Meredith said...

You don't have to run. They have free weights, bicycles, ellipticals, and rowing machines too....

Hee hee. Non?

Laurelle said...

I can walk....do some weight machine stuff?

Anonymous said...

I just got the wii fit... it is really fun! My exercise today consisted of:
hulahooping (oddly enough - got my heart rate going more than anything else!)
yoga
ski jumping
downhill skiing
walking a tightrope
running (on the spot)
step aerobics
SO FUN!