My friend Karen had booked a trip to Six Mile Lake earlier this year. She ended up selling me her site booking as she found out she could no longer camp while going through chemotherapy. My friend Kerri msn'd me one day and asked to go camping - I just happened to have this site, so we made the trek up together.
What a crazy weekend.
First of all, I learned how different Karen and I are. She chooses a campground for the beauty of the actual site you are staying on. I choose a site for the privacy aspect, and would choose a campground for the quietness factor. Granted, the site we were on was beautiful, but the campground was the noisiest one I have ever been to. Hands down.
HANDS DOWN.
We arrived on the Friday at about 4pm. Set up camp - me upstairs and Kerri downstairs (two tiered site). We decided to eat our dinner and as we were cooking it, a noise filled the air. A silly-ass remote controlled toy speedboat was being used in the bay that we overlook...by some twenty something dude that lived in a cottage on the lake. The noise from this stupid boat was so loud that the Park Wardens showed up on scene at the beach and realized they couldn't do a thing about it. This went on for a good two hours. The thing is, with this boat, sometimes it would flip over - so another dude had to be out on the lake on his SeaDoo to flip it back over. SeaDoos aren't quiet either. The two of us sat on the rocks reading our books until we decided to start a fire. That same cottage must have had "boys weekend" because they were shotgunning beers and being asses. You could hear them as clear as day because they were across the bay, where sound travels so easily.
A few car alarms went off as well.
Some small yappy dog about 10 sites over barked non-stop for about 3 hours.
Fast forward to slumber time. The keg party gets out of control - two guys were either pretending to fight, or being stupid. It got louder and louder - both telling each other to fuck off in stereo. Finally, one of the campers yelled: "KNOOCCCK IT OFFFFFFFFF!!!!!" I was impressed at his choice of words, because I wouldn't have been quite so... politically correct (right Cathy?)

It quieted down after that - I was impressed. However, the site beside us consisted of 3 couples - late twenties. One couple got in a fight because when the girl left to go to the "bathroom" with the other girl, her boyfriend asked her to kiss him when she returned. This started an argument about her smoking and tasting like an ashtray. I was giggling inside my tent because it was actually quite entertaining. I completely sided with this guy.
Wake up.
Day two.
Had a nice breakfast, and decided to read my book under the tarp which was strung between four trees. Started off so lovely. Until...........some jackass decided to blast his suped up car stereo on his site. You know the kind.....you're sitting at a light and some guy pulls up beside you...you can't hear your radio over his bass. Ya, that. This lasted for about 20-30 minutes - I assume someone complained because it was turned down. Then, the bongo drumming started. Seriously. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.
Dinner.
Remote controlled boat.
SeaDoo.
Dog barking non-stop.

We decided to walk over to Kari and Ruth's campsite for a few beers (Kerri and I didn't bring any). As we are sitting in front of the fire, they tell us that a couple that was camping two sites away had a HUGE domestic dispute whereby the guy called the girl an "effing c-word". Apparently this fighting went on for a while before this word came out. The people beside these campers had a few children with them, so they complained. As we were roasting marshmallows and drinking beer, we watched as the O.P.P responded to this dispute. They were there for about an hour - the lights from their car were illuminating our campfire area. Just as they were wrapping up, the people that made the original complaint, had a fire in their camper. The kitchenette area, I suspect. We watched as the cops and park wardens responded to this emergency as well. Smoke was spiraling upward from the top of their camper. Eventually the fire was extinguished and the cops drove away. We were suddenly sitting in darkness again. Yes!
Kari and Ruth then busted out a story about their other neighbours...they apparently brought their cat camping and had it on a leash. That made me laugh out loud.
Honestly, we could have charged admission to this circus.
One more sleep. Neighbours were up until 4am, drinking and playing cards.
Packed up the next morning, and headed home.
However, it all boils down to this one question: Did I have a good time?
Helllssss ya!!!! I love camping.
Nothing can bring me down. Just a mental note for next time - choose a more remote location, which isn't party central. I like my quiet time to reflect, snooze, and read in silence.
Next trip: Charleston Lake - end of July. Can't wait.
2 comments:
STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
:)
LOL that is hilarious! I'd recommend Awenda. It is in Penetang. I've been numerous times. Always been quiet, however maybe you would miss the action;) I have a bit of a review on our site on the park.
Post a Comment